Wavetek 27XT Substitute

Original poster: "S & J Young by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <youngs-at-konnections-dot-net>

I decided to order the LCM-1951, on sale for $60 US, from Ocean State
Electronics (www.oselectronics-dot-com).  In my opinion, it is just as good as
the 27XT that costs twice as much.  I don't see how one could do better for
a DMM that also measures L, C, frequency and temperature.

I would post comparison readings between the two DMMs, except I accidently
overvoltaged my beloved 27XT and smoked some of the functions.  The LCM-1951
resistance readings were right on for several precision resistors measured.
Frequency between the two meters was the same.  Capacitance readings were
very close.  Inductance was not, but I attribute that to damage to the 27XT.

The only downside to the 1951, and it is minor, is that measurement of L and
C must be done by inserting leads into holes on the front panel.  This is
unhandy, but more accurate since you don't have test lead L & C to introduce
errors.

You can see the specs for the 1951 on the website.  The catalog addendum
says it is 3 3/4 digit, but it is actually 3 1/2 digit (same as 27XT).  I
have no idea how long the $60 sale price will last (normally $80).

OSelectronics has some other interesting hard to find stuff useful to
coilers, such as variable capacitors for making dip meters.  They have a
free catalog you can order, or you can browse it on their website.

--Steve Young