Re: Machining Lexan

A 1/4 or 1/2 inch ball nose cutter in a milling machine works excellent.
Just offset each block 1/16th or 1/8th inch and make your cuts straight
thru.  When you lay out the blocks with even distance as measured from the
outside of your upper base, they will cause the perfect misalignment
necessary to form the Archemedian spiral for your primary coil copper
tubing.

A good trick to prevent slippage is to attach a 4-5 inch long piece of
double sided masking tape on each block prior to clamping it in the milling
vice.  This will keep the blocks in perfect alignment during the cutting
process.

Once aligned you can make all the cuts in 10 minutes or less.  It's very
fast and accurate.  If you don't have access to a mill any local machine
shop can make the cuts for you.  You might have to invest in the ball nose
cutter but it's handy for future projects.

We use white or black delrin (acetyl plate) for all of our primary holders.
They attach with 1/4-20 NC nylon machine screws.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913