RE: First Light for 10" Coil.

Original poster: "John H. Couture" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Bart -

You can forget the reduction factors and the 47.4pf isolated toroid
capacitance for Peter's Tesla coil. The reason is because the surrounding
conditions that determine the toroid capacitance on his TC are completely
different. In fact there is no reason to call this a reduced toroid
capacitance because the toroid capacitance on the TC has nothing to do with
the capacitance that Inca, etc, calculates. The conditions around a Tesla
coil have nothing to do with a toroid in isolated space. I don't intend to
use "toroid capacity reduction" in the future.

So lets start over and also use real numbers of a real TC like 145.49 and
84.43. For Peter's TC if you use a computer program or manual calcs (brave
coilers) these two frequencies will not be available to you. The computer or
calcs will give you some fictitious resonant frequencies based upon your
inputs. What you do with these frequencies is up to you. However, if you
want to know the real world toroid capacitance of Peter's TC proceed as
follows. The accuracy will depend upon the  accuracy of the real world
frequency tests.

For Peter's Tesla coil he found that the test resonant frequency without the
toroid was 145.49 KHz. The secondary coil capacitance per the Wheeler
equation was 69.33 mh. The real world self capacitance of the secondary coil
without the toroid is

   Cc = 1/(39.5 F^2 L) = 1/((39.478)(145490^2)(.06933)) = 17.26pf

The test resonant frequency was 84.43 KHz with the toroid on the secondary.
The toroid + coil capacity is

   Cs  = 1/((39.5)(84430^2)(.06933)) = 51.26pf

The real world toroid capacity is

    Ct = (Cs - Cc) = 51.26 - 17.26 = 34.00pf

What could be easier?

What do you believe is incorrect with the above calcs?

Note that the above calcs are  straight forward and not a back-calculation
as you mention.

Note that this also includes the minor change in the secondary coil self
capacitance that you mentioned when the toroid is on top. It also takes care
of the ground plane, reduction factors, etc.

You mentioned that the secondary capacitance changes when operating at Fres.
Can you explain this in more detail including the frequency equations that
shows this effect other than the equation shown above?

What equations show the capacitance changes when the currents are displaced?

I agree it would be silly to think only the top load capacitance is
affected. The above calcs show the secondary self capacitance also is
affected.

I agree it is "misleading" to state the top load capacitance is reduced,
etc. This refers to a reduction from the INCA capacitance. As I said above
the INCA capacitance has nothing to do with the toroid capacitance when on
Tesla coils. The INCA capacitance conditions never match the conditions
around Tesla coils.

I agree with your equation for solving for C. Why can't the Wheeler
inductance L be used in this equation? The L and C inputs you are using give
you frequencies that do not agree with the test resonant frequencies. Why
bother using these inputs?

If you have the two real world resonant test frequencies and a computer
program why not use this combination to find the real world secondary coil
and toroid capacities as I show above? A relatively simple job. Note that
this takes care of the distributed current effects, the toroid reduction
factors, etc.

Bart - My Ctop calcs are not recent. I have been trying to point out to
coilers for many years how the real world TC coil self capacitance and
toroid capacitance   can be found by using the real world resonant test
frequencies. The problem is that most coilers are not interested.

John Couture