Re: AC grill primary

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/25/03 9:53:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "K Wilson" <teslamap-at-hotmail-dot-com>

While walking around the side of my dads house yesterday my eye caught the
perfect spiral of the metal fan grill on top of the air conditioning unit.
There's 5 or 6 bars radiating from the center to hold the spiral in place
that would have to ground or cut off. There's about 14 turns, and the metal
looks like 10 AWG (0.1 in) stainless steel.
Inside diameter = 6 in
Outside diameter = 20 in
2 turns per inch
L at turn 14 = 64 uH
These dimensions and inductance values are almost identical to the ever
popular 0.25 in copper tube, with 0.25 in space between turns.
My question is how can I convince my dad to let me disassemble his air
conditioning unit?

I think you will find that like aluminum, stainless steel has very poor RF
characteristics, which will severely limit the peak primary currents.

Matt D..