Re: Doorknob capacitors for primary?

Original poster: Bert Hickman <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi David,

A HV Ceramic doorknob cap is simply a flat plate capacitor that uses a
thick, high k dielectric. The ceramic materials used in these caps has a
high dielectric constant that can be in the range of 15-500 (for Class I
ceramic dielectrics) and 2,000-20,000 (for Class II Ferroelectric
ceramics). Class I HV caps are indeed usable for higher power RF, Tesla
Coil, and pulsed power applications with some restrictions. However, Class
II caps are intended only for DC filtering applications, since they have
much greater capacitance change with temperature and applied voltage, and
much higher losses at RF frequency.

Both types of capacitors outwardly appear similar. Internally, both types
are constructed from a thick cylinder of dielectric material, with each of
the flat ends being metalized. Pulse duty and RF power capacitors use
heavier metallization to better withstand higher current. Both styles have
similar plate surface area. Thicker material is used for higher voltage
capacitors and, unlike small low voltage multilayer ceramics, they use only
a single dielectric layer.

When used in Tesla Coil applications, Type II HV DC caps may overheat and
die quickly, or the thin metallization may begin to gradually "disappear"
in the high current environment. They also "broaden" primary circuit tuning
because of their poorer Q, and this also causes significantly poorer coil
performance than Type I or film capacitors/MMC's.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
We specialize in UNIQUE items! Coins shrunk by Ultrastrong Fields,
Lichtenberg Figures (electrical discharges in acrylic), & Scarce OOP