Re: NEW Direct Coupled Tesla Circuit - Looks promising

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

 > Hi Dan,
 >
 > On 15 Dec 2003, at 11:56, Tesla list wrote:
 >
 >  > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>
 >  >
 >  >
 >  > A friend of mine and myself came up with a new directly coupled tesla
 >  > circuit which from initial looks and simulations looks to be able to
 >  > overcome the limitations of previous direct coupled tesla resonant
 >  > circuits and may easily outperform the standard tesla coil.  Sounds
 >  > too good to be true?  Possibly, but time will tell.  The only pitfalls
 >  > of this circuit are the high voltage requirements of a few components
 >  > including the spark gap.
 >  >
 >  > I've enclosed a sketch of this topology.  Any comments are
 >  > appreciated.
 >  >
 >  > http://users.snip-dot-net/~liche/directtesla01.jpg
 >
 > Difficult to tell without some key component values. It looks similar
 > in principle to some of Tesla's schemes from the CSN. How exactly do
 > you envisage its working principles (apart from the obvious)?
 >
 > Malcolm

Very simply, when the spark gap is closed, the Primary Coil inductor is
being driven by the output of the high voltage transformer.  When the spark
gap is opened, the 450pF capacitor
is put into the primary circuit and is charged up to an enormous voltage via
the Primary Coil via the resonant condition of the Primary circuit.  When
this circuit resonants, it directly
resonates the Secondary Coil and produces enormous output voltages at the
top of the resonator.  This circuit does not appear to be affected by
equivalent coupling factors (being part of the
final gain equation) as Dr. Antonio has discussed with other direct coupled
circuits we've been discussing.

When this circuit is in resonant condition (after the spark gap opens),
there is no where else for the primary energy to go then directly to the
secondary.  This is opposed to the other way where
the resonant condition is created when the spark gap closes.  In this
standard way of operation, lots of energy is lost in the spark gap when
energy swashes back and forth.

Dan