Re: modifying motors

Hi,

At 11:43 AM 12/14/2003, you wrote:
>After getting a quote for nearly $200 for a 1/15 hp 3600 rpm salient pole
>synch motor I decided to mod my own.

They can often be found in old tape recording equipment (but probably not
salient types...).  "New" will be very expensive!  Almost free if you can
find them at the junk yard.  But no matter, they are easy to make...

>What I have is a 1/20 hp (hope that will spin a 1/8"x 4" disk with 2 or 4
>of the smallest acorn nuts i can find). What I wanted to know is if I
>grind only 2 flats would it turn into 3600 rpm?

You can't turn a 1800 RPM motor into a 3600 rpm or visa versa (actually,
you "could" chop up the windings, I guess, but... ;-))  In your case, with
a small HP motor, you need all the flats you can get.  They don't need to
be very deep at all.

>How deep should I go with the grinding? Thanks for any help since I've
>never hacked up a motor like this before.

If you have not already seen "The Instructions", get this zip file for the
info:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/syncmot.zip

Also, some grinding it cheap chat at:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/Misc/sync_motor.txt