RE: Inner tubes

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

Close.  I tried filling a corrugated aluminum duct toroid with the
"Great Stuff" polyurethane foam in a can, from Home Depot.  The stuff
cures by reacting to water or water vapor, so I added a few spoonfuls of
water inside the toroid.  The greatest problem is that you're guessing
with no feedback whatsoever as to when to stop adding the foam.  It
expands very slowly, so even if one had X-ray vision, it would be
difficult to know when to stop.  With the duct toroid, the consequence
to over-filling is that it burst the seam where the two ends of the duct
were joined (several HOURS after filling).  Perhaps with an inner tube
it would just keep on expanding, symmetrically.  Or perhaps there's no
way to prevent gasses separating from the foam and causing unpredictable
voids?

The machined toroid came out beautifully, but filling an inner tube
would have been much cheaper.  Who wants to be a hero and find out?

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Brian" <ka1bbg-at-webryders-dot-net>

Hi, I think both Gary Lau and i both tried the foam in a tube.. i could
get
it to harden but never a nice round donut. the foam just is not made to
do
what we want. maybe if the form was hard and strong it might work. Gary
had
one machined from foam. cul brian f.