RE: Finding 'mu' for magnetics

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

mu = L/Lo where L = inductance of coil on core and Lo is inductance of
coil using air as the core.
This will give you an initial "real" part of the permeability and may be
okay for what you are doing.

However, amplitude-type permeability is a more important parameter and
is not so easily obtainable.  Basically
this is determining the B-H curve of the core and is one of the most
important characteristics of the core when
doing a design.  Much more than initial permeability.

Dan