Re: Better performance

Original poster: "harry" <harry-at-prcn-dot-org>

I have a setup similar to this but with homemade rolled poly caps and a
static gap made with 3/4" copper pipe 6" long (11 gaps at  0.22 "  per gap)
i found that mounting a pair of MO fans in a wooden box and blowing the air
between the gaps made a big difference in spark legnth , i used 1/4" copper
tube for the primary and a single 4" dryer duct toroid , this gives a nice
single spark that averages 32" and has ocasional stikes  33"-34" when using
needles as breakout and ground points and running the variac to 140 volts ,
(the kids in the neighbourhood find this boring so i put a 3" toroid on for
lots of racing sparks) I ran this coil on halloween for over an hour with
only slight warming of the transformers (2 X 12/30 nst's).

------------------------------
1          __\                   1 O                I hollowed out the
center of a scrap piece of cutting board so air could blow
1              /                   1 O                 through it , then
drilled holes near the ends of the pipe sections and screwed
1                                  1 O                 them onto the board ,
then screwed the unit on the open end of the box.
1                                  1 O
1          ___\                1 O
1                 /                1 O
1                                  1 O