Re: Theoretical understanding

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>

Hi Ed,

On 8 Dec 2003, at 18:14, Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
 >
 > "Precisely, and, because the primary and secondary are tuned to
 > slightly different frequencies, the process is not perfectly even, but
 > beats back and forth, creating the "notches"
 >
 > Best mechanical example....   Take a piece of string about as long as
 > your arm and string it between the backs of two chairs (or other
 > similar supports).  Construct two pendulums with string and a small
 > weight (like a washer)about 2ft (60cm) long.  Hang the two pendulums
 > from the string between the chairs, about a foot (30cm) apart.  Start
 > one swinging (but not the other).  Watch...
 >
 > The energy stored in one pendulmn will transfer to the other and then
 > back, periodically.
 >
 > (unless you were really exact and managed to make each pendulmn
 > precisely
 > the same, and the connections were perfectly symmetrical, etc....)"
 >
 >  Even then.  Two identical coupled tuned circuits have two resonant
 > frequencies.  In a TC, quenching opens the primary and allows the
 > secondary to ring at its own resonant frequency which may well be that
 > to which the primary is tuned.
 >
 >  The "beat" phenomenon occurs whenever two sine waves of different
 > frequency are summed; peaks at times when both waves add up in phase,
 > minima when they add up out of phase.  The higher the coupling the
 > farther apart the peaks until, when the coupling coefficient is unity,
 > one peak frequency goes to 0 and the other to light!

Actually, the lower one goes to Fs/SQRT(2).

 >From Flo = Fs/SQRT(1+k)  I discussed this with Bert Hickman once and
I think we arrived at a concensus that what was basically happening
was that Cp transformed by the impedance ratio was appearing in
parallel across Cs (in fact transformed to the same value as Cs via
the tuning requirements).

Malcolm