From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 2:43 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: Small coil questions?

Original poster: Peter Lawrence <Peter.Lawrence-at-Sun-dot-com>

Guys,
       I've wound four mini coils at 3.5"D x 12"H, with #28, #32, #36, and
wire. My subjective opinion is that the #38 gives the best sparks. All these
thin wire ohmic and skin-depth issues seem to be irrelevant at mini-coil
dimensions, what seems to matter is getting the Fres down.

Pete Lawrence, YMMV-vale, CA.

  >Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
  >
  >Tesla list wrote:
  > >
  > > Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz" <mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>
  > >
  > > >Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com
  > >
  > > <snip>
  > >
  > > >One thing about tesla coiling is that merely copying someone elses
design
  > > >doesn't necessarily mean a successful design.
  > > >Actually, I think you could do better than Gary's secondary.  If i
remember
  > > >correctly, he used something like 32 to 36 AWG to wind his secondary
  > > >which may be a bit too thin.  Gary himself stated this as well.  I
think 28
  > > >to 30 AWG wire would be a good size for a mini-coil.
  > >
  > > Dan,
  > >
  > > I would have to disagree about 32 AWG being too thin.  Though I use a
  > > slightly higher voltage(7.5kV) on our 2.5" small coil, it is wound with
32
  > > AWG and produces similiar results.
  > > http://teslacoils4christ-dot-org/mark.stolz/2inch/2inch.html
  > >
  > > Mark Stolz
  > > Pearland, TX
  > > http://teslacoils4christ-dot-org/
  > >
  > > >I also have a mini-coil design that has been lately putting out 13"
to 14"
  > > >streamers to a strike target.  I use the same exact transformer as
Gary's