Re: Small coil questions?

Original poster: dhmccauley-at-spacecatlighting-dot-com

By helical, i'm assuming you mean solenoid wound.  If so, then it probably
won't work that well.  The coupling will be too high for a spark gap coil
and introduce a lot
of problems into the system.
Stick with the pancake flat primary coil.  Its very simple and easy to make.

One thing about tesla coiling is that merely copying someone elses design
doesn't necessarily mean a successful design.
Actually, I think you could do better than Gary's secondary.  If i remember
correctly, he used something like 32 to 36 AWG to wind his secondary
which may be a bit too thin.  Gary himself stated this as well.  I think 28
to 30 AWG wire would be a good size for a mini-coil.

I also have a mini-coil design that has been lately putting out 13" to 14"
streamers to a strike target.  I use the same exact transformer as Gary's
with almost identical
output current (half-shunts removed)
You can get information on my mini-coil at:

http://www.spacecatlighting-dot-com/teslacoil4.htm

Dan