RE: coil at school?

Original poster: Chris Roberts <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

I have run both of my coils at my high school and at my old middle school
with no ill effects found. One of my coils is a 250VA mini coil that
actually uses the 3rd prong ground for the RF ground. The other coil is a
1080VA coil that has been run in the electronics lab with a few computers
on either side of the room. (About 20 feet away) The way I grounded it was
to use the drain pipe coming from the sink they had. If you are running it
in a science lab or something, there should be at least one sink in there.
I think that it really depends on what power level you are going to be
running it at, how well tuned your coil is, etc. A rule of thumb that I
like to use for nearby electronics is to take a florescent tube and see how
far it can get away from the coil before it goes out. Then I would give it
a few more feet out and that's where 'I' would believe it is moderately
safe for electronics! . Have fun with the demonstrations, it is always fun
to watch people who haven't seen (heard) a coil to get startled from the
sound when you first turn it on. =D

-Chris