Re: Big Powerstats was RE: Unknown Powerstats

Dan & Adam:

I would definitely NOT use your triple stack variac with the hand control
wheel.  If there is a short circuit or variac flashover, this means a
tremendous "flash explosion" which would severly burn or kill anyone near
it.  The fireball predicted at 20 kVA is over 8 feet in dia. and the
flashburn would be very nasty especially if you are facing the unit.  You
would probably never see again.

When going beyond a single variac you might consider rigging up a small DC
gearmotor for remote control of this unit.  We do this on all variacs above
a double stack.  Being close is case of a short is too dangerous at these
power levels.

You can rig a small gearmotor and use standard bike chains and sprockets to
rig up a motor drive.

If you want to proceed in this manner I could send you a few digital photos
of our gearmotor rig using standard Grainger gearmotor and bike sprockets
with chain drive and a few microswitches as limit switches.

It's a little more work but it only takes one incident to severly burn you.

Life is too short to go up in a fireball while enjoying your hobby.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913