Re: Don't get mad, get glad ployethylene

Original poster: "Mike by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <megavolts61-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,
I don't know if I mentioned this before, but has anyone considered
using
plastic sheet protectors, ie the kind reports can be slipped into?
They
come in several thickness' up to super heavy duty (don't know how many
mills) in 8 by 11 size, and are enclosed on three sides.
John Richardson

     I have given lots of thought of this in the past and even used the
sheet protectors...I only answered the post about glad bags to point out
that dyes would probably be bad for dielectric properties.  While making
home made caps is fun and a good learning experience,  one should consider
that we cannot out do commercially made caps.  If you make you own
caps,  you should make them about four times the capacitance you need and
then put four of them in series-each rated at the full voltage you expect
them to see.....otherwise the stress will kill them in short order.  The
corona/ozone generated will degrade them if you don't.....costwise,  you
are better off with the MMC caps.  If I made a MMC cap bank,  I'd overbuild
it as well...just to let them see less stress.
Mike