Re: door knob caps

 > Tesla list wrote:
 >  >
 >  > Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>"
 > <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>
 >  >
 >  > Ebay is probably your best bet..
 >  > Places like RF Parts (in San Marcos, CA) carry doorknobs, but they're
full
 >  > price.
 >  > C&H sales in Pasadena, CA, sometimes has some (but I heard a story that
they
 >  > had a big liquidation sale sign out front!  Say it ain't so!  First,
Joe
 >  > Factor, now C&H)
 >  > AllTronics in the Bay Area, etc.
 >
 > Don't think C&H has any doorknobs of at interest at the prices they
 > ask.

I general, I agree, C&H is pretty pricey... however, you never know....

   As for the big sign, that's indeed true.  However, I've talked to
 > the guys in the store and they say they just decided to put up the sign
 > to see if they could bring in more business and apparently that's just
 > what happened.  The store is profitable and in no danger of going out of
 > business, as is their warehouse and catalog sales.

We figured as much. I'm sure they own the store outright as it's been there
forever, so they don't even have to cover rent. JPL is going through a big
cleanup getting rid of much surplus from "Cheli". JPL has to move all the
"junk" from Cheli, so they're on a mission to excess and sell as much as
possible. We thought that maybe C&H was making room for future acquisitions
from JPL junk sales.

For those of you in the appropriate areas, a call to the Excess Property
Disposal folks at Jet Propulsion Lab (http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ probably has
links) might not be a bad idea.  As an employee, there are all sorts of
restrictions on what I can buy (some shenanigans in the past at other gov't
labs with employees marking equipment as "excess", and then buying for
resale), but, in general, it's the usual pallet load sales to highest
bidder.  Many, many computers with no or destroyed hard drives.  Probably
lots of nice obsolete test equipment (meaning it's not cost effective to
keep in cal and repair, but perfectly good.. )  I saw some enormous (16")
diffusion pumps being shipped off as excess, and also some monster variacs.
Who knows how that stuff gets disposed of.