Re: mOT - HELP

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Greetings

Sorry to hear your NST's have failed, this seems to be something that
happens to them after a while.

In NZ and many other places like the USA it is easy to obtain transformers
from Microwave ovens that are being dumped , in most cases they can be had
for free, I hope your in this position too.

There are many WEB page resources now that deal with using MOT's to give
ideas on how to make them work well whether that be by various voltage
multiplying methods or using them with their AC O/P directly applied to the
Tesla coil.

Many people put their MOT's into transformer oil if operating the
secondaries in series, in a Two MOT design with the secondaries in series
but with a centre ground you can avoid the need to use oil but it still
helps take away the heat. Almost any MOT xfrmr will work but the bigger the
better, the common 600watt xfrmrs will work. I use Gapped EE cores (from old
TV receivers) and home made 500pf/40kV small oil filled rolled caps for an
RF filter but suspect the filter is not really needed. Craft shop high
density 0.3mm thick  (3 layers) polystyrene sheet is the dielectric and
metal shim plates.Cheap and easy method for small filter caps.

The best idea if your getting started is to look thru the Tesla WEB ring for
ideas IMHO. In my case I have been able to run 6MOT's in a 3 per side WRT to
ground and can run over 6kVA. No sign of MOT secondary insulation problems
at all. Some have achieved 4 per side from list reports a while ago.

MOT's are leathal CARE

Best
Ted Linney in NZ