Re: capacitor idea

Original poster: "Chris Arnold by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chris_arnold-at-msn-dot-com>

Rodney,

There's also another way to look at this idea.  In very nontechnical terms
the higher dielectric constant of the material between the two high voltage
layers does no good if it doesn't have most of the voltage stress across
it.  The dielectric constant is a ratio of the effectiveness of a given
dielectric to that of a complete vacuum.  If you are interested in more
information on this subject there's a good deal of information in the
following thread started about a month ago dealing with the capacitance of
a multiple dielectric system.  In it is everything from simple explanations
to fairly rigorous (as far as e-mail lists go that is) derivations of how
that behaves.

http://www.pupman-dot-com/listarchives/2003/June/msg00129.html

Hope this helps.

Chris Arnold