Re: Why does running an NST on an async gap kill it?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

>I'm wondering, if the safety spark gap was moved to be directly across the
>NST bushings and ground, if the NST would be better protected.  Since the
>charging current is coming from the NST, the sooner this can be shunted the
>better.  I have to think what this would do to the 1000 ohm power
>resisters since any Cp energy would then be dissipated in the resisters.
>Maybe this isn't such a good idea.  Comments??

        While it is true that the charging current comes from the NST, It
is the discharge current from the cap and hash in the oscillating tank
circuit that kills the NST.

Matt D.