RE: Formula for calculating self resonant frequency of secondary coil or helical coil?

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

The programs use several equations (Wheeler, Medhurst, etc) to find the
resonant frequency of a secondary coil. These equations have been shown and
discussed many times on the List.

However, note that it can be much easier and quicker if you use only part of
the program. For example with the JHCTES Ver 3.3 program you only need to
input the same variables you would use for manual calcs to obtain the answer
fast and without calc errors.

Enter only three variables in the Inputs for the secondary -

Sec Rad, Turns, Turns/Inch

Press "Calculate" to obtain the secondary resonant frequency.

You can also quickly obtain the resonant frequency for the secondary coil
with the toroid by entering a number other than zero for the secondary
terminal (pf). For the default TC the secondary coil resonant freq. is
269.02 Khz without a toroid and for the sec coil with a  toroid it is 169.80
Khz when the effective sec terminal capacity is 15 pf.

The JHCTES Ver 3.3 program is at

     www.mgte-dot-com

Go to TESLA and JHCTES and BOOKS (bottom of page).

John Couture