Static gap BPS, was Static Spark Gap

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

The BPS of a static gap is only remotely tied to the mains frequency.  With
a 60 Hz supply, one would achieve 120 BPS only if the gap breakdown voltage
was precisely set to the voltage that the cap would acquire after one
half-cycle of power.  That sounds fine in theory, but it turns out that the
actual breakdown voltage varies considerably with time, airflow,
temperature, time since last breakdown, etc.  Variations in breakdown
voltage will translate to variations in timing, i.e. no longer at peak
voltage.  What isn't obvious is that if following a half-cycle of cap
charging, if the voltage is too small to break down the gap, that charge is
NOT wasted (where else would it go?).  Instead the cap forms a tank circuit
with the power supply (NST) secondary inductance, and the energy in the cap
is carried into the next half-cycle in the opposite polarity.

In any static gap circuit, the _average_ BPS will be governed by cap size
and gap width.  Truthfully, I've never actually measured my gap's average
BPS, though I have confirmed that the waveforms are as simulations predict
- chaotic, and definitely not synchronized with mains peaks.  See
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/gapsim.htm for simulated waveforms, and
http://www.laushaus-dot-com/tesla/measured_waveforms.htm for a measured waveform.

I was surprised to hear Terry suggest that the BPS will ultimately work out
to be roughly 200 BPS, or any particular number.  I know that the BPS is
strictly dependant on cap size and gap width, so I'm not sure how such a
generalization can be made.  Maybe I'll measure my minicoil's BPS tonight...

Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" ><daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>