Re: static "sucker" gap / cap stress

Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi,

I use the exact same Maxwell cap in my systems,
however I double them up, that is, I use four
in a parallel series configuration. .03uf, 70Kv
for nice long runs. They are oil filled which makes
them nice bombs when they do blow up. I'm thinking
of enclosing mine in a nice hardwood box with a fan
and maybe one of those CPU temperature display
thingys.
(Idea: wire a thermistor into relay circuit that
controls power to the transformer.)

If you look at the spec sheet from Maxwell you'll
find that they aren't rated for continuous stress.
(They're really designed for the occasional one shot
brief discharges: X rays, MRI's and that sorta thing.)

The fact that they even last in a tesla circuit is
testament to Maxwell quality. I've seen one cut
up and there were plenty of black little holes
that were the result of a puncture, but the cap
fixed itself and before disassembly remained fairly
close to it's original value.

--- Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote