Re: Secondary Circuit Ground Fault Protection

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Jeremy,

Unlike a direct current sensing GFI, Allanson's Secondary Ground Fault
Protection (SGFP) circuit senses _voltage_ imbalances between HV outputs
through a capacitive sensor to indirectly sense current from the HV
outputs. Voltage imbalances would occur when the current drawn by one of
the HV outputs is significantly different than the current drawn by other
HV output, reflecting current being diverted to ground. The SGFP circuit
will almost certainly trip when the safety gap fires, during a
primary-secondary flashover, a streamer hit to the primary, one of the HV
windings going bad, and even differences in capacitive loading between HV
outputs (versus ground). As Terry indicated, it would be very interesting
to see how an "unmodified" transformer actually works in a Tesla Coil - the
nuisance tripping may in fact require that the SGFP circuit be defeated.

A very good technical explanation about Allanson's SGFP approach (10 pages)
and a paper covering installation and troubleshooting for protected
transformers can be found on Allanson's web site in the Technical Support
section:
http://www.allanson-dot-com/tech_support/sgfpart.pdf
http://www.allanson-dot-com/tech_support/unitrantrouble.pdf

Give it a try and let us know what you find... :^)

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Unique Offerings - Scarce Technical Books, Coins Crushed by
Ultrastrong Magnetic Fields, and Captured Lightning Bolts!