Re: Magnifier topload size?

Original poster: "G by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bog-at-cinci.rr-dot-com>

>Jeff,
>
>Corrugated flexible plastic drain pipe comes in diameters up to 36" and
>could be used to create just about
>any diameter toroid  relatively inexpensively compared to a much smaller
>spun aluminum unit. A 3' X 16' or
>a 3' X 20'  toroid could be constructed for a reasonable cost.
>
>Granted, it wouldn't look as pretty or professional as a spun aluminum
>toroid, but it would be functional.
>
>I think Greg Leyh's metal tubing fabrication method could also be used to
>construct gargantuan sized
>toroids at reasonable cost.
>
>Ed Wingate RATCB

I checked some pricing at a local distributor yesterday, and a 10" x 20'
section was $42.00. One must take into account the labor to get the toroid
finished though, which will be substantial at these large sizes. I spent
probably 8-10 leisurely hours finishing an 8" x 48" toroid made from one of
these drain pipes. I used 2 layers of box tape, followed by the standard
aluminum tape. It is very sturdy!

Happy day,
Gregory

--