HV Probe was HV MMCs was Re: Magnifier conversion

Hi,

>I can't begin to explain all the complexities of getting such a load to
>look "just resistive" under high frequency AC conditions!!  We have talked
>of a high voltage AC probe (150kV, 10MHz) on Paul's TSSP list.  The design
>of such a beast is horrific!!  (we decided the Jennings style of shielded
>HV probes is the best method but with oil not vacuum) In this case, the
>resisitive loads are for DC or maybe 60Hz only.  I will add a scope probe
>output to my cap but there are no great claims to accuracy due to the
>intrinsic capacitance of the structure and the inductances Jim
>mentions.  The scope thing is just sort of a "toy".  It might be useful to
>Paul's work if the physical structure can be fit to his models, but just a
>toy right now.

Now that I think about it, many of the big problems of the "real" HV probe
were related to it's super low impedance (like 2pF).  But in this case, the
very large ~135pF and the 12 amps of current would strongly resist many of
the external field effects!  It may actually be a pretty good probe after
all ;-))  We are thinking of making a Tesla coil with the secondary having
a built in HV probe on the TSSP list.  A messy thing to say the least.  But
now, we may have just stumbled on a design that does it all for us. ;-))

Much to ponder...

Cheers,

         Terry