RE: 7.5 or 5.0kv

Original poster: "Chris Roberts by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <quezacotl_14000000000000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Actually, my mini coil does pretty well off of only 3kv. =D As far as the
transformers go, you'll get larger sparks with the 7.5kv transformer, but
if you want to use the 5kv, or have already built the rest of the circut
for the smaller transformer, then I'd just stick with the little one. Good
luck!

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz "

The 7.5kV will give you better output as its high voltage and higher power,
but the 5kv will work well also.
A few of us have successfully built 4kV units which work extremely well (i
think Steve Ward has 13-15" streamers) from his
4kV/20mA.

The Captain

 > Hello,
 >
 > Attempt number two on the toroid went better. Still rather
 > homely, but
 > everything is relative.
 >
 > I have another question for you guys: Over the weekend I
 > wound a secondary
 > out of #32 heavy build, 13" of windings, on 2" PVC pipe. I
 > want to keep
 > this small, so I plan to mount the whole pri/sec assembly on
 > one of these
 > 12" fiberboard circles that Home Depot sells for about two
 > ! bucks. The
 > toroid is the previously mentioned disaster with measurements
 > about 9 by 3
 > 1/2. I've collected a wide variety of transformers over
 > time, and was
 > hoping to use a 5kv/20ma ignition transformer that I robbed
 > out of a small
 > space heater. Would this be acceptable, or would I be better
 > off with one
 > of the 7.5/30s? I have looked thru the archives and tried to
 > search the
 > Tesla Ring (hard to find anything using keywords on the Webring), and
 > haven't come up with anything definitive. This is my first
 > coil since I
 > was a kid (Model T coil driven; didn't work so well), and I
 > would like to
 > avoid screwing it up right off. Looking for a few thoughts given the
 > secondary size.
 >
 > Thanks,
 > John Richardson

-Chris