Re: first results - magnifier setup

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

 > snip
 >
 > You may also already have taken off too much material. Have you got a
 > variac, can you tell me at what voltage the hunting starts, when you
 > ramp up the voltage sloly.
 >
 > Cheers, Finn Hammer

This was what I feared might have happened. I believe I took of too much
material ( I had to give it to a shop who did it and they were not very
cooperative and I only had one chance, so I decided to go with 2cm ( ca
3/4" ).
I think I removed too much as the effect only occours when I have the disk
connected to the rotor.
I have one 20A / 240V variac but I didn't use it with the RSG as I need it
for the HV xformer control. I use it as in "regular" setup  to controll
voltage, but I think I should rather use it as a inducive limiting element
for the benefit of higher voltage.....?
Nevertheless, I will try this out when time permits and post what happened.
Without realy knowing I assume that maybe a voltage rise to 250 instead of
230 Volts might give the rotor the extra tourqe to stay in phase....but we
will see..:-)
I gave the gap a first try as a static gap and later with the rotor spinning
down. No real results as it made an incredible bang several times and no
visible sparks from the breakout point. Maybe the breakrate was far too slow
at that time, the safety gap across the cap fired violently several times.

Thaks for your advice, I will post the results when I made the variac test.

Christoph