first results - magnifier setup

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <cb-at-luebke-lands.de>

Hi!

I came up with some questions on magnifiers last week and have tried
different setups since then.
I just wanted to share some results as feedback for all you helping me with
good hints.

First: The 8" coil with 550 turns AWG 22 I made as a resonator looks great
but almost doesn't work at all. So that was probably a waste of time but I
had the wire lying around..

But another setup brought first results: The old 5" secondary as resonator
and a 8" / 140turns AWG 16 stranded silicone wire coil as a driver.
At 1 KVA I got 35" streamers into the air. Far from efficient but the first
result that could be seen.
I tried pushing more power, but the streamers wouldn't grow, sometimes they
even got 50% shorter.
The sound of my static gap was more like a high frequency whistle than the
normal 200BPS Bangs. Probably the quenching is too bad in this worn gap.

For that I'm building a RSG with the motor from a 125VA double grinder, and
there's another problem:
After grinding two 3/4" flats into the rotor it won't run smooth anymore,
the speed is contantly varying from ca 2800 to 3000 rpm in 1 second cycles.
I tried to improve balancing to reduce the force on the motor but the rotor
itself seems to be a bit untrue ( hope this is the right term ;-)

Can I use this gap anyway as a poor kind of async rsg? or will I risk
damage to my cap? or xformer?
I can choose between 200 and 400 BPS ( the inteded rating around which the
real rpms will vary )

Any suggentions are welcome and thanks for the support you already gave me !

Christoph