Re: Tube regulator for removing ripple/ plasma speaker

Original poster: "Mike Veldman by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <vmike-at-email.ceat.okstate.edu>

I've built several plasma speakers over the years, the earliest ones ran
about 500 volts on the plate of a transmitting tube like a 6146, the later,
louder ones ran 2kv on the plate of a 4-65.  I used tetrode tubes and
modulated the screen grid, it sounded better than using cathode or grid
modulation.  the early ones I built used another tetrode like an 6L6
running class A, in a clamp tube modulator configuration, the higher
voltage one uses a class B push/pull modulator, with the modulation
transformer in the screen.

I've never tried using one of my VTTC setups as a plasma speaker, I used a
much smaller coil arrangement  15 turns on the plate coil openended into a
tungsten spike and one turn for the grid coil over the spike end of the
plate coil.  Makes enough clean audio to fill a room.

For a choke at high voltage I have successfully used the floated secondary
on an NST.
mike