Re: Performance of MOTs - What is your longest arcs ? ? ?

Original poster: "colin.heath4 by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <colin.heath4-at-ntlworld-dot-com>

hi all,
         i think the question of what arcs are achievable is a very open
question as it all depends on tank cap, inductances and so on. the variables
are huge.
the mots are capable of large streamers just as another 8-`10kva transformer
is although duty cycle is another matter.
the other thing being a coil will only run so much power with one setup
i can hook up the pig to my coil unballasted and it will still only pull
4.5kva
as that is all the setup will achieve.
perhaps with people with high speed variable gaps then it will be different
but at a set firing rate its pretty much determined
having said that im only talking theoretically about running without ballast
as if the safety gap fires (oh dear a lot of current) although im sure
everyone is aware of that
i hope im not telling people how to suck eggs but everytime i reply i teach
myself something also
cheers
colin