Re: primary INSIDE of secondary?

Original poster: "Justin Hays by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <pyrotrons2000-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi All,

SSTC's (and maybe VTTC's, I don't know) will work GREAT with the
primary inside the secondary. I've done it, it looks very cool!! The
resonator is just sitting there arcing, apparently by itself, with no
visible external influence outside of a few wires hanging out the
bottom. If you SSTC'ers haven't tried this, you should probably think
about it, it's pretty neat. Primary inductance and coupling rules
still apply.

Spark-gap type coils will work with the primary inside the secondary.
How well they will work, depends on the coupling and how much
insulation is between the two coils. Too much coupling is generally a
bad thing: it can cause "racing arcs" and poor efficiency/short
sparks.

Unless you use a very big tank cap and a low-turns primary, a
primary-inside-secondary is probably not the best option for a
spark-gap type coil. I urge you to try it though!

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: justin-at-hvguy-dot-com
Website: www.hvguy-dot-com