An (intersting) observation...

Original poster: "Mark Hales by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <markhals-at-dircon.co.uk>

Specs... (courtesy of Colin Heath)
2" x 11" enamelled secondary on grey pvc approx 32 SWG, varnished
Topload 4 1/2"x3/4"
Archemedes primary, approx 30 degrees, 6 turns.
6kV 25mA NST (240V 50 hz i/p)
7nF 15kV rolled wax cap.

The result is 9" streamers... Nice, but no other effects.
Just for a "see what happens," I used a secondary coil I found lying around.
(Donated by Duncan Cadd.)

Specs...
3 1/4" x 10 1/4" cotton covered single strand (approx 32 SWG) on old
cardboard tube, no varnish, just some remnants of beeswax.
Primary 5 turns.

The result I expected was either a total breakdown of the coil or a fire,
however the surprise was 9" streamers and the flourescent lighting in the
garage lighting at the ends of the tubes about 9 feet away.
Why did this "work" with such a low tech secondary? Is this more or less
efficient?

Cheers, Mark H.