strange racing on table top coil

Original poster: "Laurence Davis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <meknar-at-hotmail-dot-com>

While testing the panasonic mmc I put in my friends coil,
I noticed some racing.  first off his original coil was
using 5nf with a 6kv/20ma nst.  since increasing the cap drops the turns
required for a specific load inversely increasing volts per turn ratio on
the primary. which is a mess and needs redone.  again i ramble.
added note: new cap is 7.7nf now. (approx)

racing.  the tap lead was getting about 4 or so inches from about 1/3 to 1/2
from the bottom of the secondary.  I noticed racing in the area that it was
closest to.  this makes sense.  However I also noticed when I was trying a
few different top loads, that I was getting arcing to the tap lead FROM the
secondary... about 1/2 to 1/3 from the bottom. also with a coronal path (is
that a word?) to the place where the arc connected the secondary.

could this be another 'node' or mode present on the secondary? or am I just
being dilusional and trying to rationalize something interesting out of
carbon tracks or nicks on the form or secondary respectively?

larry.