RE: Mini coil contest

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

> According to my rules, you can remove all shunts except for 5 (that is 5
top
> and 5 bottom shunts).  This gives you probably up to about 45mA output
> current.  You could call Pioneer Electronics up or just go to the
> Franceformer site and locate a distributor near you.
>
> Dan

By my reckoning, that gives more power than my poor old 5k/30
transformer. So what's the point?

Malcolm

given the same power input.  For example, in my experients, I've obtained
longer output streamers from a higher voltage, smaller kVA rating, than with
a the 4kV transformer which has a much larger kVA rating (input power).
This was tested on my tabletop coil and the only things that changed were
that the MMC and spark gap were set according to the characteristics of the
NST used.

So you can see why we want to stick with 4kV transformer.  Must keep it
fair.

Dan