Re: static charge in secondary coil

> I rewound a 6" x 19" green PVC pipe to make a new secondary.

> I gave it a few coats of polyurethane. There is nothing

> special about this coil.

> It does seem really good at storing static charges.

	This effect has been widely reported, with many messages
	in the archives.  IIR, one recent string is 'strange
	shocks' or close to that.

> Even 6 hours after use, you get painful shocks just touching the

> coil.

	The consensus is that the stored charge is in the
	_form_, rather than in the windings.

> Does anybody else have this happen?
	Yes.

	Sometimes called the 'electret' effect, or the
	analogous 'electrophorus'.  Either 'stores' electric
	charge.  The Curious Part is that both require
	a DC charge source.  It turns out the 'mostly AC'
	at the top terminal is, in part, rectified by an
	'ion rectifier' formed incidental to the
	operation of the coil.  This 'charges' the
	coil form material, or insulating coatings, etc.
	(ferinstance: a freshly applied coating can be
	better at acquiring/holding charge than, some
	other materials.)

--
	best
	dwp