Re: Will this particular Arc Welder work as a ballast???? (fwd)

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

<snip>
 I've been using Lincoln welders
> > to current limit pole transformers for over 10 years and have never
> > had a need to try any other method.
> >
> > Ed Wingate RATCB
>
> Ed,
>
> I do the same thing to ballast my 10 kVA pig and I agree with you.
> I was just curious, though, do you use resistive ballasting in combo
> with your inductive ballsting of your welder? I personally don't as I
> don't like the energy (heat) wasting or the pain of having to build
> fireproof supports for the power resistors. My coil runs reasonably
> smooth without resistive ballasting.
>
> Coiling in Memphis,
> David Rieben

Hi Dave,

I never saw a need to run resistive ballasting in combination with the
welder, although I have tried it. All of my coils run as smooth as
silk with just the inductive ballasting. I am also a subscriber to the
KISS principle! Why add unnecessary clutter?

Ed Wingate RATCB