Re: Transformer Oil tests for 40PPM for PCB's - Should I be concerned? ? ? (fwd)

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Dan,

Transformers that were originally filled with PCB's were done so to
reduce the danger of fire in case of a catastrophic fault. Your
transformer has apparently been flushed and refilled with some type of
solvent-like flammable insulating oil. While some residual PCB's remain,
the current level (~40 PPM), while measurable, shouldn't represent a
hazard to either you or the environment.

At 40 PPM, your contaminated oil is still below the threshold (50 PPM)
the EPA uses for requiring regulated disposal. Even if your transformer
held 5 gallons of oil, the total residual PCB's would amount to less
than 0.03 Oz. Many hobbyists have capacitors with ounces (or even
pounds) of PCB's sitting on shelves or junk boxes. PCB's are virtually
inert (a property which makes their disposal problematic). Relax - your
small spill should present no risk to you, the environment, or your
vehicle. Shampoo your trunk to clean out any oily residue and (more
importantly) give you some peace of mind.

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman