Re: Toroid construction

In a message dated 9/17/02 7:03:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> How do you join the
> ends of the aluminum ducting?

Ed,

This method produces an almost perfectly smooth joint:
I cut the aluminum ducting to be very flat on each end.  If it's
the type with 4 ridges then a gap, I cut off two ridges at each
end of the duct.  When these two edges fit together when the
ends are pulled together, it recreates a 4 ridge zone, which
matches all the others.  I then cut a wooden plug 1.5" thick,
which is specially shaped to fit the complex curves involved.
I place this plug halfway into one end, and place about 5 small
nails though the aluminum and into the wood plug.  this holds
the plug in place.  Epoxy would work too.  The nail heads fit
into the flat areas of the toroid, so the nails are almost invisible,
and do not protrude and do not cause corona.  The nails are
below the surface of the ridges.  When the ends of the duct
are brought together, make sure the area that crosses the
ridges, is on the inside so it will not be visible.  Next slip the
other end of the ducting over the wooden plug, so the ducting
ends are even and smooth and well aligned, and add more
nails to hold this other end onto the wood, or use epoxy.
When done, the joint is invisible unless you look for it carefully.

John