RE: Vacuum/blast gap

Original poster: "Steven Ward by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <srward16-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hi,

I think that i will revise my design. My electrodes are only 1/2" couplers
(brass).  I think that i will go with some thing else. About the motor.  I
bought the one from American Science & Surplus.  Its a 240vac, but i just
give it 120.  My meter says a peak at 3A when it starts, then it settles to
2A.  Gary, im very sorry if i came off like i was putting down your design.
I didnt mean any harm.  I actually respect a lot of the stuff on your page
(its in my favorites).  My problem could be that the electrodes are
different on each side.  One is basically a 1/2" pipe, and the other has a
adjustable nut that threads on the outside of the pipe.  I will get rid of
the nut, and find a better way to adjust the gap.  I did notice that with
only the NSTs and the gap running, the cool looking beam that forms inside
the gap.  Really cool!  I think that i will just try a slot in the pipe that
i can adjust the pressure with.  I dont want to mess around with a dimmer
and i dont have a variac. I will try my vac RQ gap and see if i get anything
better than 5 feet.  If not, i will give the Sucker another shot.

Steve Ward.