Re: First light with new MMC PLEASE HELP!!

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Malcolm,

> Current has to be the culprit and my guess is that a shorted turn
> resulting from voltage stress between turns is most likely. What
> kind
> of wire are you using and what is the insulating coating? I
> presume
> the coil is closewound (nothing wrong with that per se)?
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

Please see reply to Ted's post for coil stats. I think I will wind a
new secondary, but will use stranded PVC coated wire for the bottom 10
inches or so of the coil. Scott D has had success with this. Hopefully
it will handle the extra current better, though I worry about the
measly 1kV rating. What do you think?

Cheers,

Greg.