Re: Odd coil design

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Marry Krutsch by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <u236-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Hi again,

> 	I bought a big spool of 12AWG magnet wire, and thought:  What if I
> wound a secondary with this???  I'd only get a few hundred turns on a
> coil, but the Q should be quite high.  Pair this with a big fat primary
> of 1 or 2 turns (with high coupling), and a -VERY- beefy MMC (or other
> pulse cap), and things might get interesting :-)))).

	One might argue that Tesla's (final) coil in Colorado
	Springs, to some extent, fits this pattern, albeit
	larger.  Need not follow, specifically, what was done,
	but that model was the most recent point of an
	evolution of some decades...

> I heard of somebody doing something like this with a "single shot"
> coil, but never with a conventional type coil.  I think this guy used a
> sparkgap pressurized

	THIS is key:
		Pressurized with

> with hydrogen =:-0.

	Hydrogen is an excellent cooling gas.  Commonly used by
	utilities (or was) in cooling large generators.

> The Hindenburg comes to mind.

	Worked just fine for 5(?) years, predecessors more or less
	for 30 years.  Hindenburg was the first loss of passenger
	life.  (we should probably NOT go down the Hindenburg
	rat hole...  8)>>  PLease Don't Get me Started...  8)>>)

	Back to physics:
	Hydrogen is a dandy coolant, and only burns IF oxygen
	or another oxidizer is present.  When the entire
	gap (or whatever) is pressurized an _filled_:
	no burn.  Small leaks will disperse, or burn.  Large
	leaks indicate a defective assembly.

> Questions, Comments, Flames, Etc. are encouraged.
	I suggest avoiding flames around hydrogen.

	8)>>
	(it can be argued that keeping one burning will cause
	leaks to burn off, rather than accumulate...)

	best
	dwp

...the net of a million lies...
	Vernor Vinge