Re: something becides Tungsten?

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com>

In a message dated 9/13/02 11:59:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi Adam,
>
> I, and most people, just use brass.  Look for cap nuts since they are easy to
> replace.  However, I have never had to replace any.  Brass lasts fine for
> most
> of us.  Real high power or very long running (pro) coils may need to go all
> out
> but brass will do the trick for the rest of us.
>
> http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyCoils/SmallCoil/small_gap1.jpg
>
> Cheers,
>
>         Terry

Hi Terry, Adam,

To re-enforce what Terry's saying, I run a 10 kVA pole pig powered
Tesla system at up to around 8 kVA for up to 3 or 4 minutes at a
time with ALL BRASS electrodes, both the stationary and the ro-
tory flying electrodes. There is slight electrode corosion over time
of the flying 3/8" dia. X 2" long threaded brass electrodes but since
the system is already fully assembled and it does work, I'm not go-
ing to "fix it" by changing over to tungsten electrodes, at least not
at this particular time. The stationary electrodes (4) are 1/2" dia. X 4"
long threaded brass electrodes, each affixed with 4 aluminum heat
sink fins.

Coiling in Memphis,
David Rieben