RE: Greg's MOT New Stack (long post--sorry!)

Original poster: "Gregory Hunter by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ghunter31014-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Hi Greg (and all other motters),

Hi

> I saw your mot stack and capacitor placement and was
> impressed by the
> simplicity.

Thanks. The MOT cap ballast and the peculiar placement
of said ballast was a rare moment of inspiration. I'm
afraid I'm more of a settler than a pioneer.

> So much so that I went out and bought some mots.  I
> got 8 capacitors as
> well.

Cool

> If I build a 4 mot stack like yours and later added
> another two mots in
> the same way (i.e. a third box), would the 8
> capacitors between the
> first and second boxes be enough or would I have to
> put something else
> in?  How about 8 mots?

Assuming your MOT caps have the same voltage rating as
the MOTs (I.E. 2200wvac for a 2200vac MOT, etc.), and
also assuming all the MOT caps have the same
capacitance, you need at least one cap per MOT. A
4-pack must have at least four series ballast caps. It
doesn't much matter where you put the caps, as long as
they are all in series.

> Also, do all of the mots have to be the same
> physical size or only have

No. My 4-pack uses three different kinds of MOTs: Two
"horizontal" 2250vac units that are nearly identical
(both pulled from the same make & model of oven, so
that makes sense), one "upright" 2250vac MOT that is
the most massive of the four, and one "upright"
1900vac MOT that is the smallest of the four. That
adds up to 8650vac, which is probably about right. The
MOT stack uses the same spark gap spacing as my 9kvac
NST farm, so 8650vac is pretty close to the mark.

> the same secondary voltage?  The place where I got
> the mots also had
> some commercial mots which were about twice the
> size.  If I used these
> for the outer mots, would I reduce some of the flash
> over problems that
> people have mentioned?

I've been reading the mail pretty faithfully, and I
haven't heard of any flashover problems. If you
immerse all the MOTs in oil, you shouldn't have any
flashovers, especially with only 4 MOTs. I used 30w
motor oil that claimed to be pure, virgin oil with no
additives and no detergent. At $1.19 a quart, I
couldn't resist. It seems to work perfectly for the
purpose.

> Also, do you use any protection circuits with the
> mots?

I'm not using any filter--just safety gaps. They fire
pretty often, so I guess they are doing something
useful. I get a lot of primary strikes now, thanks to
the ample output juice of the MOT stack, so safety
gaps are pretty much mandatory.

> regards
>
> Justin Wright

=====