RE: Why no corona? AC / DC transmission lines

Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi all,

> Sure, there are transmission lines that run up to 768kV
> or better.
> I've even heard of megavolt lines (anyone know where
> these are?)

One of my profs here at the University was invloved with
westinghouse when they were testing 1MV transmission
lines.. apparently, they were unpredictable and could not
be modeled.. he said that they would frequently arc over to
stuff that was further away than the nearest ground, so
they decided that 768kV was as high as they could 'safely'
go.. I believe that was for AC though.. I'll have to
check.. ;)

And on the subject of corona.. Isn't it still there? We've
all been around power lines (esp. high tension lines) just
after a rain storm.. you can physically HEAR the air being
ionized.. isn't that corona? (just not visible.. )

I just remebered, 768kV was the highest they cold go with
AC.. 1MV DC lines do exist.. (my bad.. ;) )

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen