Running Coils in small areas . . . outside

Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

Heck, i live in a townhouse with a small patio (ground floor outside).  I
simply put up a small chickenwire faraday cage which extends up 3 feet from
the top of my fence and i'm ready to go.

Dan

	Why aren't you able to run outside?  You don't live in an apartment
do
you?

	I live in a very residential area, and I run my coil in the back
yard
frequently.  Yes, the thing is deafening, but as long as I keep the runs
short, my neighbors don't complain (I'm kind of forced to, since my cap
will explode otherwise ;-)).  I make sure my mighty 5 foot sparks don't
come close to property lines.  I suppose there's no surprise like
enjoying the night sky, and having a lightning bolt come over the fence
;-))).  As long as you don't run "late" at night, I don't think you'd
have a problem.  I don't run after 9pm, since my neighbors have kids who
(probably) go to bed early.

	My next door neighbor pays no attention to the coil.  He works
outside
often at night, and we talk sporadically, yet he acts as if the coil is
just an "animated" piece of lawn furniture ;-)).  The guy behind my
house thinks it's cool, and comes out to watch for a few minutes each
time I run it.  He's been helpful in that he has checked his TV for me
while I run the coil, indicating the amount of EMI present.  Neighbors
aren't all bad :-)).  I hope you can find some way to run your coil
outdoors.

	Are there any coilers in your area that you could get together with?

Maybe then you could haul your coil over to their house and run it
outside.  Just a thought.

Good luck,
Winston K.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>