RE: Designing BIG Secondary Coil

HI Dave,

On 6 Sep 2002, at 21:00, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Dr.,
> I was probably incorrectly assuming that space winding improves performance
> because of reduced inter-turn capacitance. I've never experienced inter-turn
> insulation breakdown, though I know it occurs.

Space winding doesn't affect the total capacitance of the coil much
at all. What it does affect is the proximity effect. The result is
that you can wind a coil to have the same inductance with far less
copper mass which performs as well if not better than one closewound
with thick wire. Cheaper and lighter.

Regards,
malcolm