RE: Designing BIG Secondary Coil

Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Mark,
Interesting question. I do have considerably more horizontal room, but I'm
not sure of what horizontal mounting would achieve. I have thought about
ceiling mounting. If I can get the system to behave properly, this should
give me another foot, the distance from the concrete floor in which the
primary now resides. (This is probably too close. The tuning is broad,
making me suspect compromised Q)
Dave

Original poster: "Mark Fergerson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<mfergerson1-at-cox-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Dave Hartwick by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ddhartwick-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Dr.,
> I was probably incorrectly assuming that space winding improves
performance
> because of reduced inter-turn capacitance. I've never experienced
inter-turn
> insulation breakdown, though I know it occurs.
>
> Regarding secondary dimensions: I've got 7 puny feet of vertical space to
> work with in the basement. I think I'm stuck there--wife and neighbor
> factors. So I was thinking about 12 or more inch dia form, but not more
than
> about 24" tall. 2:1 aspect ratio or less. The topload will have to be
> elevated somewhat.

<snip>

  How long/wide is the basement? Can you
lay your coil sideways?