Re: Streamer formation on the scope...

I was thinking about modeling the spark as a transmission line, but I
hadn't even thought about the surface propagation modes of the toroid
itself... you're right, mindbendingly complex.  Clearly a good application
for a FEM code of some sort (FDTD?), rather than trying to come up with an
analytical solution.  The saving grace might be that high order conductive
modes could get killed off mighty quick by the losses due to skin effect,
although surface wave and evanescent modes aren't as affected by surface
losses.