lower limit to break rate

Original poster: "jimmy hynes by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <chunkyboy86-at-yahoo-dot-com>

from what i've heard, and according to johns more complicated formula,
lower break rates are better .i guess i am pushing low break rates to the
extreme with my coil. it runs at about 10bps with 24nf and a 15/20 ss neon
sign transformer. my secondary is 2" by 12" and the toroid is 4"x12". the
longest arc i have gotten is about 8". i am also getting multiple
streamers. is my toroid too small? or did i just do a bad job making it?
could low break rates a problem here? should i try a smaller toroid and
less capacitance? i guess i could have just followed the "recipe for
success", but that wouldnt be as interesting.

JImmy